|PUBLICATION||DATE OF REVIEW||SCORE||REVIEW LINK|
|24 Sep 2011||9.0|
|07 Jun 2013||8.8||Read the review|
|02 Jun 2011||8.3||Read the review|
|27 Jul 2011||8.0||Read the review|
|18 Feb 2020||7.7||
The app also offers the BBC News Channel streamed live, social features and personalisation so you can re-order the news categories to suit your interests.
Top Stories brings you the latest, breaking news from our trusted global network of journalists.
My News is a newly introduced feature allowing you to personalise your news offering.
Add topics wherever you see the + icon for a quick route straight to the stories you care about.
Stories from topics you add will appear in your personalised My News feed. Here you can order stories by topic or time, and use the Manage Topics screen to stay on top of the news of the day.
Find content fast
The app can suggest topics based on your location, stories you’ve recently viewed and what’s in the news now.
And you can quickly find topics that interest you using the Topic Search. Choose from the familiar list of BBC News indexes such as Politics, Business, Entertainment and Health or search for your own subjects of interest whether they’re people, places, things or themes
More of the news you care about
We now offer a fuller selection of stories from the newsroom, including:
- Most Read and Most Watched. Keep on top of popular stories across the BBC, regularly updated throughout the day
- Live BBC News channel, up-to-the-minute reports available 24-hours a day
- Read the best journalism from BBC correspondents
- Access to our full range of video and audio
- Photo galleries and full-screen images
- Push notifications for breaking news stories
- Video over 3G and wifi
- Improved offline experience. Download the latest stories when you have a signal and then read them at your leisure
- Settings to allow the app to automatically update in the background
- Share stories to your social networks, or email/SMS to a friend
- Home screen widgets. Configurable to reflect your choice of topics, resizable to suit your screen layout and stylable to view as a stack or list widget
- Font controls to increase or decrease the story text size to suit you
- Related stories, related topics. Go deeper into a storyline with suggestions for further reading and viewing and a range of topics related to each story
If you choose to receive push notifications, a unique identifier relating to your device will be stored by ProcessOne on behalf of the BBC to provide you with the service.
No other personal data relating to you (such as a username or email address) is processed. The BBC will keep your information secure and not share it with anyone else in accordance with the BBC’s Privacy and Cookies Policy, available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/
You can choose to unsubscribe from push notifications in the app’s settings screen.
- INTERNET: Used to get the latest news content from the BBC
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Used to determine whether you are on 3G or Wifi to deliver the best quality content
- WAKE_LOCK: Used if you enable background updates in settings
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Used to determine if your device is capable of receiving Push messages
- C2D_RECEIVE/C2D_MESSAGE: Used to receive Push messages if you opt in
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows the app to suggest news based on your location (Android 4.0 and above)
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS/WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS/AUTHENTICATE_ACCOUNTS: Used for managing background updates to get the latest news content from the BBC (Android 4.0 and above)
To add a Qi badge for BBC News to your site:
- Copy the HTML code snippet and paste it into your site.
- The badge will automatically display on your web page with the BBC News Android app's current Qualityindex rating.